Allentown is located along an ancient Indian and major trail from Ball’s Ferry to Old Hartford (Hawkinsville). This trail intersected with a trail that ran between Fort Hawkins (Macon) and present day Dublin. At this intersection was a settlement first known as Cross Roads and later as Cool Springs. After James Allen and Linkfield Perkins bought acreage and a store in 1831, the name of the emerging town was changed to Allentown. By 1891, trains were running through the town. Allentown’s main street was the dirt road called Athens-Macon Highway, which ran alongside the railroad through the middle of town.
Danville is a town in Twiggs and Wilkinson counties in the U.S. state of Georgia. The population was 238 at the 2010 census. The Twiggs County portion of Danville is part of the Macon Metropolitan Statistical Area. Danville was originally called “Hughes”, and under that name had its start about 1891 when the railroad was extended to that point. The Georgia General Assembly incorporated the place in 1905 as the “Town of Danville”. The town was named for Daniel G. Hughes, father of U.S. Representative Dudley Mays Hughes.
The City of Gordon, located in Wilkinson County, was named after William W. Gordon, who served as first president of the Central of Georgia Railroad. Located in the center of the Kaolin Belt, the City of Gordon was founded as a depot on the Central of Georgia Railway. Gordon is the largest city in Wilkinson County and the main industry is the manufacturing of kaolin, which is used worldwide.
The City of Irwinton is the County Seat of Wilkinson County, Georgia and was named for Georgia Governor Jared Irwin. Incorporated by the Georgia Legislature in 1811 and is centrally located between Macon, Dublin, and Milledgeville. Situated in beautiful Middle Ga, Wilkinson County is bordered by Baldwin, Washington, Jones, Twiggs & Laurens counties. When organized in 1803, from Creek land, Wilkinson embraced Dodge and Telfair, and parts of four other counties: Laurens, Montgomery, Pulaski, and Twiggs. Irwinton, the county seat is named for Governor Jared Irwin.
Ivey, GA – Ivey is a town in Wilkinson County, Georgia, United States. The community was named after James Ivey. The Georgia General Assembly incorporated Ivey in 1950. The town has a total area of 3.0 square miles of which 2.6 square miles is land and 0.4 square miles is water. Lake Tchukolako is a beautiful, vast lake for fishermen to enjoy.
McIntyre is a town in Wilkinson County, Georgia, incorporated in 1910. The population was 650 at the 2010 census.
Toomsboro is a town in Wilkinson County, Georgia, United States. The population was 472 at the 2010 census. Toomsboro was founded when the Central of Georgia Railway was extended to that point. Its railroad terminal was built in 1869.